Board Meetings are held the 3rd Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. All meetings are open to the public. Agendas are available prior to the meeting at the Administration Office, 1138 136th Ave., Holland, MI. Updated agendas are available at the meeting. Whenever a special meeting is called or whenever there is a change of meeting date, time or location, the information will be posted at the Administration Office and on the District’s website at least 18 hours before the meeting.
West Ottawa Public Schools will provide necessary and reasonable auxiliary aids and services at all Board meetings, such as signers for hearing impaired persons and audio tapes of printed materials for visually-impaired persons, upon receipt of seven (7) days prior notice. Disabled persons requiring such auxiliary aids or special accommodations should so notify the West Ottawa Public Schools by contacting: Office of Student Services, 1138 136th Ave., Holland, MI 49424, (616) 786-2053.
Administration Office Training Room*
1138 – 136th Avenue
Holland, MI 49424
*NOTE: Use the same entrance drive as Pine Creek Elementary School
2017 Meeting Dates:
Third Monday (* indicates change in regular schedule)
• January 16, 2017
• February 20, 2017
• March 20, 2017
• April 24, 2017 *
• May 15, 2017
• June 26, 2017 *
• July 5, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. *
• August 21, 2017
• September 18, 2017
• October 16, 2017
• November 20, 2017
• December 18, 2017
• January 22, 2018
- Roll Call – 7:00 p.m.
- Routine Business
- Information Items
- Communications from the Audience (regarding items on the agenda)
- Action Items
- Communications from the Audience (regarding items NOT on the agenda)
- Communications from the Board
- Next Meeting
Agendas are available the Friday prior to each meeting at the Administration Office, 1138 136th Ave., Holland, MI. Updated agendas are available at the meeting. Whenever a special meeting is called or whenever there is a change of meeting date, time or location, the information will be posted at the Administration Office and on the District’s website at least 18 hours before the meeting. All meetings are open to the public. View approved meeting minutes.
Community members are invited to publicly comment on any school-related topic during an open meeting, whether or not it appears on the agenda. The agenda of each regular meeting designates a time for individuals or groups wishing to address the Board entitled, “Communications from the Audience”.
For the sake of order, we ask that public statements, presentations, or reports be made only during this time in the meeting. Please step up to the microphone and clearly state your name, address, and if applicable, group affiliation, for the record. The presiding Board officer will make all decisions related to the public communications period. The Board of Education can modify the rules for public statements for all or part of a meeting with a two-thirds majority roll call vote.
For items listed on the agenda: time shall be limited to two (2) minutes per individual, with time allocated to no more than five (5) individuals on the same agenda item
For items not listed on the agenda: time shall be limited to two (2) minutes per individual, with time allocated to no more than two (2) individuals on the same item
Board Response to Communications
While the Board is directly accountable to the people they represent, their primary obligation is to ensure students’ needs are identified and met. Answers to inquiries & decisions addressing concerns are deferred in accordance with Board policy.
- all comments are noted
- additional information is gathered
- further input is sought
- existing policy is reviewed
- issue is deliberated
- individual rights are protected
- answer is determined/decision reached as quickly as possible & concerned persons are notified
The Board of Education meets regularly:
- to set or amend school policy
- to act on the Superintendent’s recommendations covering a wide range of school matters such as:
- curriculum changes & textbook adoptions
- personnel issues
- to legally adopt an operating budget & tax rate
- to authorize expenditures of budgeted funds
- to hear staff reports on a variety of topics
During all Board of Education meetings:
- the president presides
- 4 members (a quorum) must be present to transact school business
- at least four members must vote “yes” to pass any item of business presented in the form of a motion
- minutes are taken & all votes recorded; these are kept permanently on file as public record and are available pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act.
The Open Meetings Act requires that meetings of a quorum be open to the public. All Board of Education action must be taken in open session.
Periodically, closed or executive sessions are held as permitted by the Open Meetings Act. Closed sessions may be called during an open meeting by a two-thirds majority roll call vote:
- to discuss purchase/lease of real property up to the time & option to purchase/lease is obtained
- to consult with attorneys regarding settlement or trial strategy connected to specific pending litigation only when open meeting would detrimentally affect litigation or settlement position financially
- to consider material exempt from discussion or disclosure by State or Federal Statute
- to review the specific contents of an application for employment or appointment to public office when the candidate so requests [All interviews conducted by a public body for employment or appointment to public office must be held in open session.]
The Board must return to open session to adjourn.
The Board may also conduct a closed hearing to consider dismissal, suspension, or disciplining of, or to hear complaints or charges brought against an employee or student, only if so requested by employee, student, or student’s parent(s)/guardian(s) and for strategy sessions relative to a collective bargaining agreement when so requested.