Announcement: Recent COVID-19 positive case(s): 1 student at WOHS on 2/25/21 and 2 students at WOHS on 2/24/21. Click here for the weekly COVID-19 Dashboard and West Ottawa Safe Schools Handbook.
The Business Office manages over $85 million in revenues and expenditures each year. This includes $39 million of payroll, $4.2 million of food service related expenses, $3 million in student transportation, and $1.4 million in utility expenses in addition to much more.
Follow us on Twitter: @WOPSfinance.
Jeff Malloch, Assistant Superintendent of Business Services
Kyle Barr, Director of Finance
Phone: (616) 786-2070
What is Crowdfunding? What are the rules?
Crowdfunding is the funding of a project by raising money from a large group of people through the use of the internet and social media as a platform. It allows schools to use online tools to generate funds for school supplies, classroom resources, special projects, events, etc.
Activities are deemed as fundraising if they:
- Further promote education and provide educational experiences for the students;
- Address local funding needs to support the strategic plan and extracurricular programs/activities or its schools;
- Promote the effective, efficient, or safe management and operation of the school district
Fundraising activities must also comply with the school district’s cash handling, procurement, fixed assets, and gifts and donations policies. They must not interfere with the operation of school programs and functions. Proposals for fundraising programs must be reviewed and approved by the superintendent or designee to ensure the compliance of the program.
What are the requirements with Crowdfunding?
- Crowdfunding must support educational or instructional based initiatives
- Must submit a crowdfunding application to the Business Office
- Must receive approval before the campaign is published
- Allow up to 3 weeks for the application process
- Intent of the original request must be followed
- Employees must comply with student privacy as outlined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Photos, videos, names, or descriptions of students may not be published without previous written parental consent.
- Crowdfunding must be set up through a WOPS account, and not an individual account.
- Monetary donations must be issued as a check payable to West Ottawa Public Schools, from the crowdfunding platform, and are subject to the same controls as other district revenue. Checks from the crowdfunding platform should be received at least monthly. Cash donations are not permitted.
- All items, such as supplies, materials, or equipment are shipped directly to the school and become property of the district.
What are the restricted actions?
- Personal fundraisers or withdrawal of funds into personal banking accounts
- Fundraisers that benefit individuals
- Any type of sales
- Transfer of donations to different campuses
- Mailing donated items to an employee’s home
- Fundraising for non‐district organizations/charities
How do I apply?
Please complete this form.
Teacher and Support Staff COVID-19 Grants
Hazard Pay Memo
*Eligible classroom teachers and support staff have been identified and provided Form 5734
How does a staff member access resources from the Business Office?
Please visit the external website from the Business Office here to access any resources from this department.