Guided by a visionary Board of Education, West Ottawa works diligently to meet the goals of our district – and the high standards of our educators, parents and community:
- Increase student achievement for all learners
- Build, grow and support all members of the West Ottawa staff
- Sustain and improve our respectful learning community
- Be ethical and responsible stewards of the resources provided to the district
Points Of Pride
- West Ottawa Public Schools have some of the best programs in the state of Michigan for your student to become College, Career and Life Ready!
- West Ottawa Public Schools offer a Spanish Immersion program designed to enrich the education of native-English speaking students.
- Our Montessori method of instruction program focuses on adapting a child’s learning environment to his or her development level.
- The International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB) Program is recognized by colleges and universities worldwide, and students are prepared for post-secondary success by the highly-regarded IB curriculum.
- Students who go through middle school at West Ottawa can receive up to 7 high school credits to make time available for them to explore Advanced Placement (AP) courses as well as the IB Diploma Program and early college opportunities in high school.
- West Ottawa rounds out the educational experience with renowned vocal, instrumental, performing and visual arts opportunities as well as excellent athletic programs.
- Pine Creek Elementary and Lakeshore Elementary have been identified by the Michigan Department of Education as “Beating the Odds.” This program recognizes Michigan schools that are finding ways to overcome identifiable risk factors associated with low student achievement, such as economic status, race and ethnicity, or proficiency with the English language.
- Pine Creek Elementary is proud to be recognized as a “Green School” by the Michigan Green Schools Foundation.
- Great Lakes Elementary School and West Ottawa High School are International Baccalaureate (IB) World Schools.
- All West Ottawa elementary and middle schools made AYP in both English Language Arts and Math and are at AYP phase 0.
- All West Ottawa schools earned an Education Yes! grade of an A or B.
- Above-average advanced placement participation and scores.
- West Ottawa High School has been recognized for its excellence in the Performing Arts as a 5 time Grammy Foundation Signature School finalist – winning this prestigious award in 2007.
Teamwork makes it all possible
We’re blessed with a stellar team of dedicated teachers and support staff, tireless parent volunteers, talented students and enthusiastic community members. As our district grows, so does their combined energy – their commitment and care is boundless and bountiful. And it inspires us every day.
What To Know About West Ottawa
District Area: 69 square miles (Ottawa County)
District Population: 44,000+
Number of Schools: 12 Total
- 9 Elementary Schools (PreK-5th Grades)
- 2 Middle Schools (6th-8th Grades)
- 1 High School (9th-12th Grades)
- 1 Alternative High School housed within the main high school (9th-12th Grades)