Welcome to West Ottawa Public Schools. We are so pleased to have you and your child join our school family. Our highly qualified staff is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment, honoring diversity, and delivering quality and challenging programs for your child. Most of all, our staff has a heart for your child, and we are dedicated to meeting his/her needs as an individual learner.
Enrolling your child is an exciting, yet sometimes overwhelming experience. The forms and necessary documents required for enrolling your child are listed below. We also have an enrollment folder available in all school offices. This folder contains all of the necessary forms for you to complete, as well as important information about the variety of early childhood programs offered for your child.
Please do not hesitate to call us at (616) 738-5700 should you need assistance as you begin the process of enrolling your child in school. We are pleased you have chosen West Ottawa to share in your child’s educational journey. We look forward to seeing your child grow and develop in the years to come. Thank you and welcome to West Ottawa.
If your child will be 5 on or before November 1, 2013, they are eligible to enroll in Kindergarten for the 2013-2014 school year. Kindergarten enrollment began on January 17, 2013. Please visit your area elementary school to complete an enrollment packet for your child.
According to Michigan Law, if a child residing in the West Ottawa Public Schools District is not five years of age on November 1, 2013 but will be five years of age not later than December 1, 2013, the parent or legal guardian of that child may enroll the child in kindergarten for the 2013-2014 school year if the parent or legal guardian notifies the school district in writing not later than June 1, 2013, that he or she intends to enroll the child in kindergarten. If a child becomes a resident of the West Ottawa Public Schools District after June 1, the child’s parent or legal guardian may enroll the child in kindergarten for that school year if the parent or legal guardian submits this written notification not later than August 1, 2013 under this subsection.
Elementary & Middle School Students
During the school year, your child can be enrolled at the school of your attendance area.
When secretaries are not present in the elementary and middle school buildings during the summer break (typically from the last week in June through the first week in August), students must be enrolled at the Administration Building (1138 136th Avenue).
High School Students
Ninth-twelfth grade students are always enrolled at the West Ottawa High School North Building (3685 Butternut Drive).
To enroll the following documents are required:
- WOHS Enrollment Packet (please print and complete by hand) – Please be sure to include local emergency contact information other than parents.
- A certified copy of your child’s birth certificate – an Identity Affidavit is available if you are unable to provide a copy of your child’s birth certificate. Please see your building secretary for this form.
- A current record of all immunizations from your healthcare provider.
- Verification of residency may be made by any two (2) of the following:
- Building permit
- Current lease agreement
- Current property tax statement
- Mortgage document that shows ownership
- Rent receipt or closing statement
- State ID or Michigan driver’s License with current address
- Utility bill which verifies occupancy
- Voter registration card with current address
- Other (you will need to show this document when completing the Residency Form during enrollment)
- Or, by the following: A notarized statement signed by you and the resident of West Ottawa with whom you reside for the purpose of a suitable home