Welcome to West Ottawa’s Food Services Department!
West Ottawa Public Schools Nutrition Services Department’s mission is to “support the education and work of our children, staff, and community members.”
To achieve this mission, the Nutrition Services Department will serve appealing, nutritious, safely prepared foods; have positive relationships with its customers; continue the education and development of the Nutrition Services staff; and be fiscally responsible.
- On average, more than 5,000 meals are served daily to children attending:
– West Ottawa Public Schools
– Ottawa Area Center
– Sheldon Pines Regional Program
– Corpus Christi Catholic School
- ServSafe Certified staff in each building.
- Students enjoy nutritious, well-balanced, quality meals.
- Free and reduced price meals are available for qualified families. See your school secretary or the Nutrition Services Department for an application.
- Children in all grade levels have entrée choices; a well stocked and varied fruit and vegetable bar; and a choice of milk or chocolate milk.
- Middle School students have expanded choices in entrees, healthy snacks, and vending machines.
- High School students have the greatest variety of food choices to appeal to their sophisticated palates.
- Macatawa Bay Middle School’s kitchen is the district base kitchen that prepares some entrée’s for participating schools. Each elementary school has a heat-and-serve kitchen for fresh hot meals. Harbor Lights Middle School and the High School’s north and south buildings also prepare the majority of their own meals onsite.
The Nutrition Services Department uses a pre-pay account system. All children have a bar-coded ID card that they use to make purchases from their account. When a child’s card is scanned, the cost of the meal is deducted from their account. Students can also pay with cash or check at the register.
Operating under the guidelines of the Federal Child Nutrition Programs, the West Ottawa Public Schools Nutrition Services Department is a self-funded program. Federal and state reimbursement provides partial funding.
The West Ottawa Nutrition Services Department continually looks for way to better serve its customers and has long been considered on the cutting edge of school meals in the State of Michigan!
Please call (616) 786-2000, extension 2101, 2107, 2108 or 2109 to obtain your child’s ID number to set up your online account.
To apply for meal benefits, please follow the instructions. Your application will be electronically forwarded to West Ottawa. If your family qualifies for free or reduced price lunch meal benefits, your children will also receive free or reduced price breakfast.
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by the USDA.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact the USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to the USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.
Submit your completed form or letter to the USDA by either:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.