Quick LinksView All Quick Links
West OttawaHigh School Libraries
The West Ottawa High School Libraries are key spaces in our school for collaboration, information discovery, fostering curiosity, accessing quality digital and physical resources for research, and developing a lifelong love for reading and learning. WOHS’ certified school librarian, Ms. VanWeerdhuizen, co-teaches with classroom teachers to develop students’ information literacy skills and their confidence in determining reputable resources for research. She also stays current in young adult literature to best help each student find their just-right book for reading for enjoyment or information gathering. With a library in each building staffed by an indispensable library assistant, students have easy access to library materials, collaborative workspaces, computers for printing, and spots for focusing on individual work. Follow us on Instagram at @wo_hslibs and Twitter at @wo_hslibs.
High School Library News & Updates
Turtles All the Way Down
Turtles All the Way Down is a young adult novel written by American author John Green, published on October 10, 2017, by Dutton Books. It is his fifth solo novel, and his seventh overall. Its publication was announced during VidCon 2017, the online video conference co-founded by John Green and his brother Hank.
Who do I contact at the high school library for help?
Becca VanWeerdhuizen – (616) 786-1100, ext. 7102
Librarian/Media Technology Specialist
North: M, T, F
South: W, Th
Brandi Mitchem – (616) 786-1100, ext. 7172
WOHS North Library Assistant
Christina Mooney – (616) 786-1100, ext. 6501
WOHS South Library Assistant
Where can I access the high school library catalog?
WOHS Library Catalogs – Search the WOHS Library collections at North and South. Students can sign in to see checkouts and place books on hold.
What research databases are available?
WOHS subscribes to a number of Gale databases. Additionally, residents of the State of Michigan have access to the Michigan eLibrary.
What external resources do you recommend for researching?
Here are a few of our favorites!
- Michigan e-Library (MeL) – 24/7 online library for Michigan residents. Instant access to full-text articles from tens of thousands of magazines and newspapers. Order materials from other MI libraries through interlibrary loans.
- Herrick District Library – Local public library. Access to books, technology, e-books, and more. Be sure to check out their Teen page featuring new YA books and upcoming teen events!
- Van Wylen Library – Library at Hope College in Holland, MI. Access permitted for guests for borrowing privileges (fee required) and more scholarly research.
- KDL “What’s Next” Database – Search for the next book in a series!
- EasyBib – Generate free MLA citations. Create APA and Chicago citations with a subscription.
- KnightCite – Generate free MLA, APA, and Chicago citations.
What current events are happening at the library?
You can catch up on all of the current events by following us Twitter.
WOPSHigh School Library Staff
Media Tech Specialist
North Campus M, T, F
South Campus, W, TH
North Campus, M-F
South Campus, M-W, F