RE: BOND UPDDATE
About 80% of Phase One 2014 Bond Work Done; More in Store
It has been almost three years since the passing of the 2014 bond. By the end of this summer, we will have implemented about 80% of the first phase of the bond projects. After countless design discussions, planning sessions and construction meetings, it’s my privilege to share a review of our original goals of investing in the West Ottawa Public Schools’ community by improving our safety and security, making facility improvements, and updating learning environments for the 21st century.
This spring and summer there will be numerous projects underway all across West Ottawa. They are:
Replacing and Renovating West Ottawa facilities in 2017
- The tennis courts at High School North will be replaced with12 post-tension concrete courts that use a construction process that should allow them to last a long time. This work will begin in April.
- Significant asphalt replacement will take place in front of High School South and in the High School North bus loop, as well as asphalt patching and replacement on the drive just south of High School North.
- We are planning for building management system upgrades for High School South, High School North, Administration, Great Lakes, North Holland, and Harbor Lights beginning in April.
- Playground improvements will be made this summer at North Holland, Sheldon Woods, Woodside, Pine Creek, Great Lakes, Lakeshore, and Lakewood.
- The boiler at North Holland will be replaced this summer and mechanical system improvements will be made at North Holland, Administration and Transportation.
- The mechanical system at Woodside will be upgraded this summer in the classrooms that were not completed a few summers ago.
- Great Lakes carpet will be replaced this summer.
- The mechanical system at Macatawa Bay is being replaced with a geothermal heating and cooling system.
- Street signage matching the signage at Waukazoo and the middle schools will be installed at every building other than High School North.
- The new fueling station at Transportation is operational and just about completed, replacing the 25-year-old underground tanks.
- A portion of the Transportation bus parking lot asphalt will be replaced with rolled concrete this summer.
- Performing Arts Center sound and lighting upgrades are planned for summer 2017 beginning June 1.
Safety and Security Improvements in 2017
- Security camera replacement of our oldest security cameras.
- Access control upgrades to match the rest of the district with improvements to the keyless entry systems at Harbor Lights, Administration, High School North and South are planned for this spring and summer.
- Construction of a secure entry at Macatawa Bay.
- Finish the parent drop-off for Macatawa Bay.
- Generator installation and replacement is planned for the District technology hub at Harbor Lights, the Macatawa Bay main District kitchen, and Administration allowing the District to remain secure and, at least partially, functional in the event of a power outage.
- Improving the accessibility and safety of the bus pick-up and drop-off at Pine Creek.
- Thirteen new buses were purchased bringing the total number of new buses over the past three and a half years to 19.
While a lot of improvements will be implemented in 2017, much of the technology improvements and a number of facility upgrades were completed prior to now.
Completed Technology and Learning Environment Improvements (2015, 2016 and 2017)
- Wireless networks were added across the school district.
- The district’s network was fully upgraded with new switches and servers.
- Purchase of teacher Chromebooks.
- Chromebooks were purchased for every student in sixth through 12th grades.
- Chromebooks and Chromebook carts for elementary classrooms, with more technology yet to be added in lower elementary classrooms.
- Broadcast studio equipment improvements at the secondary buildings.
- Collaboration rooms have been added in some buildings allowing different types of learning spaces where students can collaborate and work on their Chromebooks.
- Student desks and furniture have been ordered for a number of elementary classrooms.
- The copiers with the heaviest usage across the District will be replaced this summer.
- A number of classroom projectors, computers, and computer monitors have been replaced.
- Improved the Waukazoo second computer lab.
- Re-cabling High School South.
- Installed a new phone system across the district.
- Purchase of band and orchestra instruments.
Facility Upgrades in 2015 and 2016
- Playground improvements were made at Waukazoo.
- Middle school tennis court replacement and athletic field improvements.
- Lakeshore Elementary roofing and carpeting was replaced.
- Demolition of the oldest sections of Transportation and Glerum.
- Replacement of some of the Harbor Lights roof.
- Mechanical system upgrades at Waukazoo.
2015 and 2016 Safety and Security Improvements
- Secure entries were added to all elementary schools with further upgrades planned in phase two for Pine Creek and Harbor Lights.
- Security cameras have been added in all West Ottawa schools and a new security camera system allowing for higher resolution video was purchased. The district now has more than 350 security cameras.
- Traffic flow improvements at Waukazoo, Pine Creek and the middle school campus.
- Asbestos abatement in the older buildings.
- Six new buses were purchased.
As you can see, much work has been completed with much more to come not only in phase one but also as we approach phase two. Please see our bond page on our website for more information. As always, thank you for your support in preparing all of our students to be…College, Career and Life Ready.
Thomas K. Martin
Superintendent of Schools
West Ottawa Public Schools