West Ottawa Public Schools have some of the best programs in the state of Michigan for your student to become College, Career and Life Ready!
- West Ottawa Public Schools offer a Spanish Immersion program designed to enrich the education of native-English speaking students.
- Our Montessori method of instruction program focuses on adapting a child’s learning environment to his or her development level.
- The International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB) Program is recognized by colleges and universities worldwide, and students are prepared for post-secondary success by the highly-regarded IB curriculum.
- Students who go through middle school at West Ottawa can receive up to 7 high school credits to make time available for them to explore Advanced Placement (AP) courses as well as the IB Diploma Program and early college opportunities in high school.
- West Ottawa rounds out the educational experience with renowned vocal, instrumental, performing and visual arts opportunities as well as excellent athletic programs.
- According to Bridge Magazine’s annual listing of schools in the state of Michigan, West Ottawa ranked:
- 35th out of 507 Districts
- 62nd out of 552 High Schools
- 88th out of 627 Middle Schools
- 43rd out of 643 Elementary Schools
- West Ottawa High School has been recognized by U.S. News and World Report as a Silver Medal school in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
- $9.4 million in scholarships were awarded to 2015 graduates.
- The West Ottawa High School Marching Band earned straight A’s in every category and sub-category for their District Festival performance on October 13, 2015, resulting in a “1st Division” rating for the 13th year in a row.
- Lakeshore Elementary School was named a 2014 National Blue Ribbon School by the United States Department of Education in September of 2014. Lakeshore was named as an Exemplary High Performing School, and as such was judged among the state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests. Student subgroup performance also must be at the highest levels to receive the award of excellence. Schools can also receive the award for narrowing achievement gaps.
- Lakeshore and Lakewood Elementary Schools were both identified as High Performing schools while Lakeshore also earned Beating the Odds School designation in the 2014-2105 school year. They were among 330 of the 3,361 schools in Michigan who met the criteria to be Reward Schools. Lakeshore also was awarded a ‘Reward School’ status from the Michigan Department of Education in the 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 school years.
- In the 2012-2013 school year, Lakeshore Elementary School was awarded a ‘Reward School’ status from the Michigan Department of Education.
- Pine Creek and Lakeshore Elementary Schools have been identified by the Michigan Department of Education as “Beating the Odds.” This program recognizes Michigan schools that are finding ways to overcome identifiable risk factors associated with low student achievement, such as economic status, race and ethnicity, or proficiency with the English language.
- Pine Creek Elementary School is proud to be recognized as a “Green School” by the Michigan Green Schools Foundation.
- Great Lakes Elementary School and West Ottawa High School are International Baccalaureate (IB) World Schools.
- All West Ottawa elementary and middle schools made AYP in both English Language Arts and Math and are at AYP phase 0.
- All West Ottawa schools earned an Education Yes! grade of an A or B.
- Above average advanced placement participation and scores.
- West Ottawa High School has been recognized for its excellence in the Performing Arts as a 5-time GRAMMY Foundation Signature School finalist – winning this prestigious award in 2007.