Curriculum and Instruction
At West Ottawa, our goals for all students include providing solid academic instruction in the core curricula (Language A, Mathematics, Humanities and Sciences) which will challenge learners while maintaining a supportive, nurturing environment for all students. Additionally, students are provided opportunities to explore a variety of subjects which may reveal untapped talents or promote career awareness.
Sixth grade teachers are trained and certified to work with elementary students and focus on both the intellectual growth and emotional well-being of students. The sixth grade schedule, curriculum and teaching methods are designed to help students achieve success as they make the transition from elementary school.
As academic expectations increase for seventh and eighth grade students, the core curricula focuses on providing the skills and knowledge necessary for students to become successful in the secondary grades.
|Academic Schedule Built Around 8 Core IB Subjects||6th Grade||7th Grade||8th Grade|
|FULL YEAR SUBJECTS: Language A, Mathematics, Humanities, Sciences||x||x||x|
|Language B: Spanish, French, German*||x||x||x|
|Performing Art: Band, Orchestra, Choir*||x||x||x|
|Modular Technology, Video Productions*||x|
|*Designates 18-week courses|
|Grade Learning Targets||6th Grade||7th Grade||8th Grade|
|Social Studies||Social Studies||Social Studies||Social Studies|
• Grades 6-8 CCSS Informative Writing Rubric (Non-ELA Courses)
- 6th Grade Informative Writing Rubric
- 7th Grade Informative Writing Rubric
- 8th Grade Informative Writing Rubric
• Grades 6-8 CCSS Argumentative Writing Rubric (Non-ELA Courses)
- 6th Grade Argumentative Writing Rubric
- 7th Grade Argumentative Writing Rubric
- 8th Grade Argumentative Writing Rubric